7.18.2008

Two Much Emotion : )

Hello all- I decided to write a little about the craziness of the last few weeks. I told you before about the "wonderful" time we had trying to take family pictures and how surprised I was by K's behavior. Well, much to my delight (sense the sarcasm) it has continued. I was watching Jon and Kate + 8 today, a show I've been told about but have never seen. The mother was talking about one of her children either being completely lovely or stubborn. I could totally relate. When it's good, it's really good(She has the best manners, such a thankful heart, and is so much fun), but when it's bad, it's pretty bad. Today she decided she wanted yogurt for breakfast, then changed her mind as soon as I opened it. I told her we were still going to eat it because mommy already opened it...she burst into tears. Then I took a bite and she said, "Don't you not eat my yogurt momma" (with a sassy tone) ---Indecisive, joyful, oppositional, sad, & sassy... and this was only in the 1st 15 minutes of our day. ha! She's super emotional. She's either joyfully happy, breaking down into tears, or throwing a fit and you can never tell what is going to happen next. She is also very opinionated and is constantly changing her mind about what she wants. I kept thinking, maybe she's just tired, hungry, or any other excuses to make myself feel hopeful that this wasn't going to continue. I am sure all of you experienced parents can relate to denial. ha! I knew we'd run into "phases," but was secretly hoping that we'd skip them all together. ha! I think I am finally admitting to myself that we are in uncharted waters and are probably going to be here for a while. AHHH! I looked up terrible twos on the internet tonight and began to feel a little bit better as I read the words that described the type of behavior I have been seeing as not only normal, but good and necessary. There's something about knowing that, that gives you a little extra patience and sanity. Mom's are constantly feeling like we are supposed to have everything together and often feel a sense of failure when our kids act ugly. We're so hard on ourselves! Truth be told...I am glad she has personality. I wouldn't want her to be a robot by any means, but that doesn't mean I have to like the process. :~) For now I am going to try my best to empathize with her when she's frustrated or sad and try to teach her how to better handle all these emotions she's having. That doesn't mean I am going to give in when she acts up, but I also don't want to act like an iron-fisted ruler with no care for her feelings on the matter. I am going to try to be patient, knowing that this is all new and hard for her too and I am going to pray that the Lord would graciously give me wisdom in all of this (and I'd appreciate yours too if you have a second).
Here's the site for those of you that want to read it: http://www.drgreene.com/21_556.html

2 comments:

Allison Nelson said...

The terrible 2's hit Emma at 3. (just when we thought we escaped the terrible stage that everyone talked about) It lasted almost exactly a year. Since then, it has been so much easier. I learned through that year that consistency was key. She was testing us and figuring out what her real boundaries were. After a year of trying to make us budge, I guess she gave in.
I kept telling myself, "this soon shall pass."
We are waiting to see at what year this stage hits Brooklyn.

Kimberly said...

It's so funny that I read this tonight, because we had to leave someone's home tonight when Hannah tore a page in one of their books... I was so upset! A few weeks ago she colored with a marker on a sheet at another friend's house. She was supposed to be in there watching a movie while we had a short devotional time. At the rate we're going, we won't be invited anywhere! :) It is really hard at this age... take joy in your potty training victory- we're still having problems in that area. At least we care, I suppose!